- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
COLOGNE, Germany – Belgium has nominated Felix van Groeningen‘s romantic drama The Broken Circle Breakdown as its candidate for best foreign language film for the 2014 Oscars.
The relationship drama is the story of two bluegrass music enthusiasts — she a religious realist, he a romantic atheist — whose faith, in God and each other, is put to the test when their daughter becomes terminally ill.
PHOTOS: 30 Years of Oscar Hosts: Johnny Carson, Seth MacFarlane, Ellen
The Broken Circle Breakdown had its international premiere at the Berlin Film Festival, where it won the Panorama Audience Award and the European Cinemas Label prize. It went on to success at Tribeca, where lead Veerle Baetens won the best actress honor and van Groeningen and co-writer Carl Joos won for best screenplay.
Commercially, it has been a sleeper success, grossing more than $5 million across the Benelux territories, France and Germany alone. The Broken Circle Breakdown has sold strongly internationally for The Match Factory, with Tribeca Film taking the title in the U.S.
Belgium has been nominated multiple times for the foreign language Oscar, most recently for Michael R. Roskam‘s Bullhead in 2011, but has never won.
The nominations for the 2014 Oscars will be announced on Jan. 16 and the winners at the 86th Academy Awards on March 2.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day