- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“Were you upset when you heard there were no black nominees this year?” Rock asked one man.
One moviegoer said “it was terrible,” to which Rock responded: “Real bad, like ‘smack a white man’ bad?”
“Almost,” the moviegoer told Rock, “you still go to jail in L.A. for smacking a white man.”
“Oh please, you can get three years for a hard look,” Rock joked.
Rock had a similar bit during his 2005 Oscars hosting gig, when he left the ten-Kodak Theatre (now the Dolby) for the Magic Johnson Theatre to poll “regular people” about the movies.
“You often hear that Hollywood is out of touch with the rest of the country,” he said, introducing the sketch, before asking people what they saw this year. Very few 2005 Oscar nominees were mentioned, but several people enjoyed White Chicks.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Writers Guild of America