- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
When Halle Berry decided she wanted to play up her natural hair texture at the 89th Academy Awards in Los Angeles on Sunday, she turned to longtime stylist Castillo.
“Halle definitely wanted something people aren’t used to, that wasn’t so perfect and a bit disheveled,” says Castillo, “but still something that is powerful and beautiful.”
Taking the silhouette of her one-shouldered Versace gown into consideration, Berry opted for a “more deconstructed oblong shape, asymmetrical,” explains Castillo, who promptly chopped off five inches of the star’s hair to create a heart shape to frame her face.
After nourishing Berry’s curls with MOP Mixed Greens Moisturizing Shampoo and applying mousse to her roots, Castillo dried Berry’s locks with a T3 Blow Dryer. Castillo then applied MOP C-System Curl Defying Cream on the midshafts to the ends to bring out Berry’s natural texture. The key to making the look red-carpet appropriate, says Castillo, is to use a curling iron (in this case, a T3) to detail the look and create an asymmetrical shape.
Was he worried about the threat of rain? “Absolutely,” says Castillo, who sealed the look with MOP C-System Firm Hair Spray, “and then prayed to the hair gods that the rain wasn’t going to mess it up.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
London Film Festival