- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Seven films have been chosen to advance in the competition for the makeup and hairstyling Oscar, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences announced Wednesday.
The list ranges from superhero and sci-fi movies like Deadpool, Star Trek Beyond and Suicide Squad to comedy-dramas like The Dressmaker, Florence Foster Jenkins and Hail, Caesar! The list also includes a Swedish feature, A Man Called Ove, about a grumpy old man, which also has been shortlisted in the foreign-language film Oscar category.
Some of the hopefuls that failed to make the cut include Jackie, Hacksaw Ridge, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
On Jan. 7, all members of the Academy’s makeup artists and hairstylists branch will be invited to view 10-minute excerpts from each of the seven shortlisted films. Following the screenings, they will vote to nominate three films for final Oscar consideration.
Nominations for the 89th Oscars will be announced Jan. 24, and the Oscars will be held Feb. 26.
The seven films on the makeup and hair Oscar shortlist are:
Florence Foster Jenkins
A Man Called Ove
Star Trek Beyond
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day