- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
BUENOS AIRES – Adrian Saba‘s opera prima The Cleaner will be Peru’s submission for the foreign language Oscar category.
The announcement was made this week by the Ministry of Culture, which established a committee for the selection formed by Javier Alfredo Portocarrero, Rodrigo Ernesto Portales, Rafael Álvaro Sedano and Pierre Emile Vandoorne.
The committee’s selection act stated the film was chosen “for its original proposal of an apocalyptic Lima, where loneliness and strain are shown through an effective use of cinematographic elements, expressing a city that slowly fades out.”
The Cleaner tells the story of a forensic cleaner (played by Victor Prada) who takes charge of an 8-year-old (Adrian Du Bois) orphaned by a strange epidemic in Lima. The film is Saba’s first feature and won a Special Mention of the New Directors Award at the San Sebastian Film Festival last year.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Ticket to Paradise