- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A romantic period drama about the choices people are forced to make to survive in times of political and social terror, A Step Into the Dark, directed by Miloslav Luther, is Slovakia’s nomination for the best foreign-language Oscar category.
Set during and after World War II, it focuses on the emotional and spiritual damage done to a young physician who was forced to execute innocent people.
Spurring offers of prestigious jobs in postwar communist central Europe, the doctor (Marko Igonda) embarks on a torrid love affair with a married woman as he struggles to come to terms with his past.
Also nominated for the European Film Academy awards — due to take place in Riga in December — the film, produced by Bratislava company Trigon Productions, was released in Slovakia in June and had its international premiere at the Montreal World Film Festival that wrapped earlier this month.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Sir Anthony Hopkins