- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Slovakia has selected ?iara (The Line), directed by Peter Bebjak, as its submission for consideration in the best foreign-language film Oscar category.
The criminal drama focuses on a gang of smugglers bringing Ukrainian contraband into the European Union in the fall of 2007, just before Slovakia joined the EU’s Schengen free-travel zone.
The Slovakia/Ukraine co-production had its world premiere in July in the official selection of the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, where actor-turned-helmer Bebjak received best director honors.
The Line was subsequently screened at the Odessa International Film Festival.
The film was produced by Wandal Production, Garnet International Media Group, RTVS and HomeMedia.
The Line is Slovakia’s 21st foreign-language film Oscar submission since its separation from the Czech Republic in 1993. None of the previous submissions were nominated for the Academy Awards.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day