- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
In 2017 Dunaway read the wrong best picture winner after the pair was handed the best actress category envelope. The mix-up resulted in La La Land being erroneously named best picture though Moonlight had won. When the mix-up was discovered, a La La Land producer welcomed the Moonlight crew to the stage to accept the award.
Beatty and Dunaway briefly alluded last year’s gaffe, with Beatty starting out by saying: “Thank you. It’s so nice seeing you again.” Dunaway quipped: “As they say, presenting is lovelier the second time around.”
Kimmel introduced the Bonnie and Clyde co-stars, joking: “This is the home stretch. Nothing could possibly go wrong. What happened last year was Waterhouse under the bridge,” a reference to the accounting firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers, which took responsibility for the envelope mix-up.
On Sunday night, Beatty announced — correctly — that The Shape of Water was the winner of best picture.
The Academy Awards, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, took place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on Sunday.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day