- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Lionsgate Premiere, a newly launched specialty label from Lionsgate, has picked up She’s Funny That Way, the ensemble comedy from Peter Bogdanovich, and quickly set a release date of Aug. 14.
The film will now act as the formal launch for the label, which will open movies theatrically and on VOD.
Newbie distribution outfit Clarius Entertainment was to have released the movie after picking it up last year after the Venice Film Festival but quietly put it back on the market for undisclosed reasons.
Lionsgate Premiere, which was to have made its debut with the Jackie Chan movie Dragon Blade, was also to have focused on horror thrillers and action thrillers. Among its slate are the horror-comedy Cooties and Eli Roth’s Keanu Reeves thriller Knock Knock. She’s Funny That Way expands the genres arm’s scope.
The movie tells of a Broadway director (Owen Wilson) who casts a hooker (Imogen Poots) in his new play with ensuing complications and high jinks. The cast also includes Kathryn Hahn, Rhys Ifans, Jennifer Aniston, Cybil Shepherd, Richard Lewis and Will Forte.
Bogdanovich co-wrote the script with Louise Stratten. Stratten produced with Logan Levy, Holly Wiersma, and George Drakoulias.
The project was brought to the studio by Barry Brooker.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Tonight Show