- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The first trailer for Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim has hit online, and it’s big enough to be worthy of its larger-than-life subject matter.
The futuristic film centers on a threatened human race fighting giant monsters (Kaijus) using large robots (Jaegers). The trailer reveals that the monsters are actually aliens which emerged from an inter-dimensional portal deep within the Pacific Ocean.
There’s plenty of action shots, but giant monsters and robots aside, Idris Elba’s character, General Stacker Pentecost, gives a speech that may rival Bill Pullman‘s Independence Day oration.
“Today, at the edge of our hope, at the end of our time, we have chosen to believe in each other,” he says. “Today we face the monsters that are at our door. Today we are canceling the apocalypse.”
Travis Beacham, who wrote the initial treatment for Pacific Rim as a spec script, has been tapped to write a sequel, with del Toro also on board to co-write the script, though it’s unclear if he will direct.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day