- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Universal has tapped Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan to rewrite God of War, the studio adaptation of the video game from Sony Computer Entertainment.
Charles Roven and Alex Gartner are producing via Atlas Entertainment.
Created by David Jaffe and Shannon Studstill and released in March 2005, the game followed the battles of the Spartan warrior Kratos, who squares off against mythological beasts including Medusa, Cyclops and the Hydra in his quest to find Pandora’s Box and destroy Ares, the god of war.
David Self, who is exec producing, wrote the initial draft.
Melton and Dunston made their names writing four installments of the Saw horror franchise. To branch out, they wrote a spec called Monstropolis that was well-regarded and caught the attention of the makers of Pacific Rim. Their work with Guillermo del Toro on Rim has now set them on the action tentpole path.
The pair are repped by WME, Underground and attorney Dave Feldman of Bloom Hergott.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
More from The Hollywood Reporter
‘He Went That Way’ Review: Jacob Elordi and Zachary Quinto in True Crime Misfire Awkwardly Stuck Between Genre Cracks
‘The Fabelmans’ Breakout Chloe East in Talks for A24 Thriller from Scott Beck, Bryan Woods (Exclusive)
Owen Teague Talks ‘You Hurt My Feelings’ and Meeting with Andy Serkis for the New ‘Apes’ Movie