- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The CGI live-actioner had already become the Paris-based production and distribution house’s most successful title in the U.K. in December, but a rep confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter Tuesday that the $55 million-budgeted film had now passed the $236 million earned internationally for Non-Stop to become its biggest global title.
Having already proved a hit in North America after releasing in January, Paddington’s haul is surely set to expand further after it opens wide across China on Thursday. The U.K.’s Prince William gave the film a boost this week by attending its Chinese premiere in Shanghai.
Speaking to THR earlier in the year, StudioCanal’s U.K. head Danny Perkins said that the success of Paddington – the company’s first major move into the family market – and its potential for sequels, gave the company a far greater opportunity for development.
“If you have a known quantity, be it a sequel or a franchise across five years, you can plan a lot more,” he said.
As yet, no sequel has been announced.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day