- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The movie-musical will receive the fest’s Vanguard Award — presented to a film’s cast and director for its notable creative ensemble — at its annual film awards gala, it was announced Monday. Mary Hart will host the Jan. 2 event at the Palm Springs Convention Center.
Written and directed by Damien Chazelle, the Lionsgate title stars Ryan Gosling as a jazz pianist who falls for aspiring actress Emma Stone, but as success mounts, they are faced with decisions that begin to fray the fabric of their love affair. The modern tribute to the golden age of musicals also features John Legend, Rosemary DeWitt and J.K. Simmons.
“Director and writer Damien Chazelle delivers a resonant cinematic masterpiece with La La Land,” festival chairman Harold Matzner said in a statement. “This visually stunning film pays tribute to classic Hollywood musicals with a contemporary love story driven by pitch-perfect performances by Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.”
The 28th annual Palm Springs International Film Festival is set to run Jan. 2-16.