- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Paramount and video game maker Namco Bandai announced a deal on Friday to co-publish and distribute a Star Trek game in early 2013, ahead of the sequel to J.J. Abrams‘ 2009 reboot of the space franchise.
The combat game is centered on the adventures of Kirk and Spock, portrayed by Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto in the Abrams incarnation, as they pair up to defeat a shared — and so-called “legendary” — enemy, the companies said.
“With our Namco Bandai partners leading the distribution effort, we are confident that we will meet an overwhelming demand to get this exciting console experience into the hands of gamers and Star Trek fans worldwide,” said LeeAnne Stables, Paramount’s executive vice president of worldwide marketing partnerships and head of the studio’s video game unit.
“The positive response from our initial unveiling at E3 last year was unprecedented, and we are fortunate to have the highest level of production and creative talent on our team that will bring this incredible game out to market next year,” she said in a statement, referring to the annual Electronic Entertainment Expo, a video game conference and show at the Los Angeles Convention center.
Paramount debuted Star Trek video game in pre-alpha phase at 2001’s E3 outing to critical acclaim; studio exec Brian Miller is overseeing production of the final result by Digital Extremes, a video game developer based in Ontario.
Marianne Krawczyk, writer of the fantasy game God of War, is co-writing an original plot for the Kirk-Spock adventures with Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, who are writing and producer the upcoming Star Trek movie.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day