- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Parker Sawyers has been cast to play a young Barack Obama in Southside With You.
The romantic dramedy cast the U.K.-based American actor opposite Get On Up star Tike Sumpter as a young Michelle Obama. Sawyers’ can next be seen in Oliver Stone’s Snowden and The Autopsy of Jane Doe, opposite Brian Cox and Emile Hirsch.
Southside With You covers the eventful evening in 1989 when a young associate named Barack Obama tried to woo lawyer Michelle Robinson on a date that took them from the Art Institute of Chicago to a screening of Spike Lee‘s Do the Right Thing.
The date included a first kiss outside of an ice cream parlor. Richard Tanne will direct the project based on his screenplay. Bob Teitel will produce, with IM Global’s Stuart Ford, Matt Jackson, Glendon Palmer and Tracy Bing sharing executive producer credits.
Southside With You was cast by Tracy “Twinkie” Byrd, and will start shooting in Chicago in August.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day