- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Oscar nominee and multiple Golden Globe winner has closed a deal to join Johnson and Emily Blunt in the studio’s adventure movie that takes inspiration from its theme park ride. Jesse Plemons, Jack Whitehall and Edgar Ramirez are also on the call sheet.
Jaume Collet-Serra, the filmmaker behind The Shallows and Liam Neeson films such as The Commuter and Non-Stop, will direct the project, which is set in the early 20th century and takes place in the Amazon jungle.
Johnson will play a boat captain who takes his sister (Blunt) and her brother (Whitehall) on a mission to find a tree believed to possess healing powers. Wild animals and a competing German expedition figure into the proceedings.
Giamatti will play a crusty harbormaster.
The movie is heading toward a start later this month and will shoot through the summer.
Beau Flynn, John Davis and John Fox are producing, as are Johnson, Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia. Scott Sheldon is co-producing.
Giamatti currently stars on Showtime’s Wall Street drama Billions, now in its third season, and recently appeared in the Reed Morano-helmed drama I Think We’re Alone Now. He is repped by UTA.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day