- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Michael Cuesta, who has helmed episodes of Homeland and Dexter, is directing the picture, which is being produced by Scott Stuber and Renner.
Messenger tells the true story of Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Gary Webb who through his reporting exposed the CIA’s involvement in helping Nicaragua’s Contra rebels import cocaine into California during the 1980s. The agency then tried to discredit him, which ultimately led to his “committing suicide,” though with two bullets to his head.
Vega will play the girlfriend of a wealthy dealer who is in jail and hopes that Webb can get him out.
The production plans an August start in Atlanta.
Vega will appear in Grace of Monaco as legendary opera singer Maria Callas opposite Nicole Kidman and recently wrapped Paul W.S. Anderson‘s historical drama Pompeii. She is repped by WME and Radius Entertainment.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day