- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Portuguese authorities have rejected a television program’s claims that one of the country’s most cherished historic monuments was damaged during the shooting of a film by director and former Monty Python star Terry Gilliam.
The General-Directorate for Heritage says an investigation has found that the 12th century Convent of Christ suffered only “insignificant” damage during a recent location shoot for The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.
The report published Monday said a program by public broadcaster RTP alleging wider damage “lacked rigor and revealed a lack of scientific knowledge.”
Gilliam has previously called the allegations “ignorant nonsense.”
The convent was a stronghold of the Knights Templar, a Christian military order founded in 1119, and is classified as a World Heritage site by UNESCO.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day