- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
If this year’s presidential election seems like something out of a horror movie, the first trailer for the latest installment in The Purge series — The Purge: Election Year — is here to show you that things could be worse. Like, really, really worse.
The clip centers around Senator Charlie Roan (Elizabeth Mitchell), a survivor of a previous purge — an annual 12 hour period in which all laws are suspended, and all crimes are temporarily legal — running for President with an anti-purge campaign. The movie sees Captain America: The Winter Soldier‘s Frank Grillo return as Sergeant, a survivor of 2014’s The Purge: Anarchy, and the man dedicated to keeping Roan alive through the current purge.
Unfortunately, that looks to be a surprisingly difficult task when up against those who oppose Roan’s platform. Suddenly, even the nastiest debate seems like a cakewalk in comparison.
Like earlier installments in the series, the film is directed by James DeMonaco, The Purge: Election Year also stars Edwin Hodge, Kyle Secor and Mykelti Williamson. The movie will be released July 1.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day