- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Rachel Zegler, the up-and-coming actress who makes her screen debut as Maria in Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story, has nabbed a key role in Shazam: Fury of the Gods.
Zachary Levi is starring in New Line’s sequel to the 2019 DC Films hit Shazam!. Also back are Shazam!’s director, David F. Sandberg, and producer Peter Safran.
Henry Gayden wrote the script, and former DC Films exec Geoff Johns is producing via his Mad Ghost Productions.
The feature will continue the adventures of Billy Batson, who, when uttering the word “Shazam!” turns into a hero who has the wisdom of Solomon, the strength of Hercules, the stamina of Atlas, the power of Zeus, the courage of Achilles and the speed of Mercury.
Zegler’s role is being kept under wraps. When Spielberg conducted an open casting call of his West Side Story remake, the then-16-year old jumped into the fray. She beat out over 30,000 applicants to the part that was once played by Natalie Wood.
Fury of the Gods is her first movie role since West Side. Zegler, who is Colombian American, is repped by ICM Partners.
The Wrap first reported Zegler’s involvement in Fury of the Gods.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day