- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The nostalgia factor is set on high in the new trailer for Ready Player One.
Steven Spielberg directs the ‘80s-themed adaption of the Ernie Cline novel. The film is set in the future and follows Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan), a teenager and gamer on a high-stakes treasure hunt in the all-encompassing video game OASIS. The game is essentially a digital universe, and its creator James Halliday (Mark Rylance) has set up a treasure hunt following his death. The winner will become the richest person on Earth and also get control of OASIS.
“I had to leave a lot of myself out, or I would have had to defer to another director,” Spielberg said over the summer at San Diego Comic-Con, acknowledging that his work defined much of the ‘80s. “What made me want to tell the story more than anything else was the kind of world 2045 gives to people, which is so dystopian. People are leaving the country and all of a sudden virtual reality gives you a choice, gives you another world to exist in. And you can do anything in that world — anything you can possibly imagine. … That interaction between real life and virtual life, by the third act of this movie, is virtually nonexistent.”
Warner Bros is opening Ready Player One in theaters on March 30, 2018.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day