- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The script – Jon Spaihts (Prometheus) wrote the most recent draft – in which a starship transporting human cargo to a colony malfunctions, causing one passenger (Reeves) to prematurely thaw from a cryogenic slumber nearly a century before anyone else. Not wanting to be alone, he decides to wake up another passenger, a female.
Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that talks are in the early stages, but should a deal close, Witherspoon would play the female lead.
Reeves is producing the movie with Stephen Hamel and Ben Browning. Michael Maher is exec producing. The project is expected to be presented to buyers at Cannes.
A shoot in Montreal is being planned.
Witherspoon, who was arrested last month in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after her CAA agent husband was pulled over for a DUI, is making the rounds promoting her indie drama Mud, in which she stars with Matthew McConaughey. She next appears in Devil’s Knot, a true-life drama about the West Memphis Three.
The Passengers deal would mark Witherspoon’s first project since the arrest.
Witherspoon is repped by CAA, Management 360 and Hansen Jacobson.
Email: Borys.Kit@thr.com, email@example.com
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day