- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
John Knoll, Industrial Light & Magic’s chief creative officer, isn’t just the man who came up with the original idea behind Rogue One: A Star Wars Story; he’s also the man who created Jyn Erso.
“I wanted a really strong, smart and active female character as the lead of this movie,” Knoll told Yahoo! Movies. “I have three daughters, and they were all growing up, and they were all young when I was working on the prequels. I felt like Star Wars could really use another good, strong, smart and decisive female character.”
Knoll’s family also acted as inspiration when it came to naming Felicity Jones’ character.
“My youngest daughter is Jane, and my wife is Jen, so [Jyn] is sort of [a] mashup of them,” he explained. “And growing up, my aunt was Aunt Ginny, [short] for Virginia, so there’s a little bit of that too. It’s a mixup of a lot of my favorite women in my life.”
Sadly, no mention was made of Knoll’s favorite uncle, Uncle Cassian Andor Kennic, but there are always future interviews.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day