- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Rosa Salazar has closed a deal to join the cast of Maze Runner: Scorch Trials, the sequel to Fox’s YA adaptation The Maze Runner.
With Runner a solid performer, Fox immediately dated the sequel and has Scorch Trials in pre-production. Director Wes Ball is back for the sequel as are the producers, Temple Hill Entertainment and the Gotham Group.
Lead Dylan O’Brien is also back and will now find himself in a potential romantic triangle.
Read more ‘The Maze Runner’ Film Review
The first movie focused on a group of young men escaping through a deadly maze and only had one female lead, played by Kaya Scodelario.
In a major coup for the actress, Salazar will play Brenda, a character who runs around with another group of teens (as that group’s lone female), who ends up paired with O’Brien’s character when both end up on the run in tunnels underneath a city.
Aidan Gillen, who plays Game of Thrones character Littlefinger, was previously cast as the villain.
Salazar already has one YA adventure movie under her belt: She recently completed a small role in Divergent sequel Insurgent. The actress has also notched appearances on shows such as Parenthood and American Horror Story.
She is repped by Paradigm, Seven Summits Management and Nelson Davis.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day