- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Rufus Sewell is set to play Vernon Presley, the father of Elvis Presley, in Baz Luhrmann’s as-yet untitled biopic about the king of rock ‘n’ roll, starring opposite Maggie Gyllenhaal, who is set to play mother Gladys Presley.
The upcoming Warner Bros. project is described as focusing on Elvis’ rise and stardom, with a major spotlight on his relationship with Col. Tom Parker.
Austin Butler will play Elvis, while Tom Hanks is set to play Parker, the manager who controlled every aspect of the icon’s life.
Warners is describing the drama as having a story that will “delve into their complex dynamic spanning over 20 years, from Presley’s rise to fame to his unprecedented stardom, against the backdrop of the evolving cultural landscape and the loss of innocence in America.”
Luhrmann is producing the feature with his wife, Catherine Martin.
Sewell, whose recent credits include Judy and the Amazon series The Man in High Castle, is repped by CAA and Jackoway Austen.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Warner Bros. Discovery