- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Ron Howard’s sea epic, starring Chris Hemsworth and based on the real-life sinking of the whaleship Essex in 1820, grossed $1.3 million (91.6 million rubles), according to data from research company Movie Research.
The movie’s performance was the year’s second lowest for all weekend winners, topped only by Pixels, which grossed $922,000 (64.7 million rubles) in its champion weekend.
The local movie SOS, Ded Moroz, ili Vse sbudetsya! (SOS, Santa Claus, or Everything Will Come True) debuted in second place. The New-Year’s-themed comedy, directed by Arman Gevorgyan, grossed $731,000 (51.3 million rubles)
Just like In the Heart of the Sea, the other three films on the top five were the same as in the previous weekend.
Goosebumps stayed in third place, taking in $608,000 (47.2 million rubles). Pixar’s The Good Dinosaur slipped two positions down to fourth place. The animated fantasy grossed $660,000 (46.3 million rubles).
The Cold War thriller Bridge of Spies remained in fifth place. Steven Spielberg’s period drama added $583,000 (40.9 million rubles) to its gross.
Apart from SOS Santa Claus, two other local movies, He Is A Dragon, produced by Timur Bekmambetov, and Pro lyubov (About Love), made the top 10.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day