- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
He’s flirted with the DC Universe as the lead of 2010’s Green Lantern, but Ryan Reynolds’ comic book heart belongs to Marvel’s mutant mercenary Deadpool, as a teasing tweet reminded the world on Thursday. Studio sources confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter on Thursday that Reynolds has closed a deal to play the character in 2016 movie.
Uh… It’s Chimichanga Time. pic.twitter.com/ZlknW4HOtj
— Ryan Reynolds (@VancityReynolds) December 4, 2014
Noting that “it’s chimichanga time” — the deep-fried burritos are, famously, Deadpool’s favorite food — the actor shared an image of the character’s head made up of spent bullet cartridges, with dual captions along the bottom, a la Deadpool’s traditional competing inner-and-outer monologues from his comic book appearances.
Reynolds played Deadpool in his one prior live action appearance in 2009’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and has long been attached to Fox’s solo movie featuring the character, famously in development for a number of years before being officially greenlit earlier this year.
Deadpool, directed by Tim Miller, will be released Feb. 12, 2016.
Borys Kit contributed to this story.
1:40 pm, Dec. 4 Updated with confirmation of Reynolds deal
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day