- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Both Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal are up for SAG Awards on Sunday night, with Maggie nominated for best actress in a TV movie or miniseries for her role in BBC/Sundance’s The Honorable Woman and Jake up for best actor for his role in Nightcrawler.
But while Jake received Golden Globe, Critics’ Choice and Independent Spirit nominations for his role as freelance videographer Lou Bloom, he was memorably snubbed by the Oscars, failing to earn an Academy Award nomination.
When speaking to E! on the red carpet ahead of the SAG Awards, Maggie said that while she was disappointed that her brother wasn’t nominated for an Oscar, “It’s not a meritocracy.”
She argued that there are other things that go into whether or not someone’s nominated for an Oscar, adding, “It’s not like, ‘You’re the best and you’re the second best and you’re the third best.’ ” Nightcrawler was nominated for a best original screenplay Oscar, with Jake’s performance earning him numerous accolades from critics’ groups and other organizations.
Jake is currently starring on Broadway in Constellations, opposite The Affair star Ruth Wilson.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day