- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Apparently, Obi-Wan Kenobi wasn’t the only Jedi keeping the Galaxy safe between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, with Samuel L. Jackson revealing that his Star Wars character didn’t really die in the 2005 film … and that George Lucas himself has given his blessing to that idea.
Jackson played Jedi Master Mace Windu in the Star Wars prequel trilogy, a member of the Jedi High Council who was apparently killed after having his hand cut off by Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) and being shocked by Senator Palpatine’s Force lightning. But, according to Jackson, that’s not what actually happened at all.
Jackson first addressed the issue on Twitter in response to a fan’s question last week:
— Samuel L. Jackson (@SamuelLJackson) June 25, 2016
He expanded on his theory that Windu lived when talking to an Entertainment Weekly radio show. Saying that “of course” the character lived on, he explained, “Jedi can fall from amazing distances. And there’s a long history of one-handed Jedi. So why not?”
The reason he hadn’t been seen since, Jackson suggested, was because Windu was laying low like Alec Guinness’ Obi-Wan Kenobi had been at the start of the original movie.
The actor went on to say that he had shared his theory with Star Wars creator Lucas. “George doesn’t have anything to do with it anymore,” he said, but gave his approval to the idea nonetheless. “George is like, ‘I’m okay with that. You can be alive,'” he said.
Well, now we have another potential Star Wars Story spinoff waiting to happen. Time to start preparing those fan petitions to Lucasfilm…
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day