- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Taken franchise director Olivier Megaton is attached to helm The Champion, a sci-fi action project written by actor-turned-scribe Hal Ozsan.
Steve Richards and his Endurance Media are backing the project, with Richards producing with colleagues Steve Barnett and James Tomlinson. Brian Spink will executive produce.
Described as being in the vein of a futuristic Spartacus, Champion tells of a man falsely imprisoned for an act of terrorism who must battle through the prison’s gladiator program to regain his freedom.
Endurance, which is financing the project, is aiming to shoot early 2017. Endurance is currently in production on the Ron Shelton comedy Villa Capri, which stars Morgan Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones.
WME-repped Megaton is best known for his action-movie oeuvre, having directed the Liam Neeson movies Taken 2 and Taken 3, as well as Jason Statham in Transporter 2. He also directed the Zoe Saldana action vehicle Colombiana.
Champion is the first script sale for Ozsan, who is better known for his runs on Dawson’s Creek (he played movie director Todd Carr) and Kyle XY. He was also a lead singer of a Sunset Strip rock band before nabbing recent acting gigs on Graceland, The Blacklist and Lucifer.
He is repped by Realm Management.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day