- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Screen Gems is strapping on a clerical collar and a gun to pick up Padre, a spec script by Mike Maples.
Gregg Champion and Mark Lawyer are on board to produce the thriller, which is described as being in the tone of No Country for Old Men and A History of Violence.
The story centers on a priest with a dark past on a quest for revenge against a group of thugs that left him for dead. However, he soon discovers the men are part of the sheriff’s department in the small town where he seeks refuge.
The deal was in the high six figures, according to sources.
Maples wrote Amerigo Jones, a comedy-drama set up at Miramax that adapted the writer’s unpublished novel. He also wrote the 2003 Lifetime movie Miracle Run that starred Mary-Louise Parker and Zac Efron.
He is repped by Bryan Brucks of Luber Roklin Entertainment and Jackoway Tyerman.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day