- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
UPDATE: THR has been informed the project has a working title of Singularity.
Disaster impresario Roland Emmerich has a new project.
Columbia may pre-emptively pick up the Emmerich project, which at this time has no title and the plot is not known. What is known is that it is a spec script written by Emmerich, who is also attached to direct. The project, according to sources, came with a set of terms.
It is no surprise that Columbia is in prime position to pick up the project. The director has a long-standing relationship with the studio going back to the days of Universal Soldier and including Godzilla, The Patriot and 2012. The studio is also releasing Anonymous, Emmerich’s period thriller centering on Shakespeare.
While Emmerich didn’t pen Anonymous, he tends to write or co-write his big-budget disaster projects and sources speculate that, after Anonymous’ more restrained budget, the project is a return to epic scope for the CAA-repped filmmaker.
Columbia had no comment.
Emmerich has recently been mentioned in connection with Universal’s adaptation of classic video game Asteroids as well as Foundation, an adaptation of the Isaac Asimov sci-fi book, but insiders say he has yet to choose his next movie.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day