- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The New Line Cinema action comedy, which Warners opens nationwide June 14, follows Usher as John Shaft Jr. as he works to uncover the truth behind his best friend’s death. Jackson appears as his father, the legendary John Shaft. The cast includes Regina Hall, Alexandra Shipp, Titus Welliver and Cliff “Method Man” Smith.
Kenya Barris (Black-ish) and Alex Barnow (The Goldbergs) wrote the screenplay. John Davis produced the film, with Richard Brener, Josh Mack, Story, Ira Napoliello, Barris, Marc S. Fischer serving as executive producers.
“We are thrilled Shaft will be the opening-night film at the 2019 ABFF,” Nicole Friday, general manager of ABFF Ventures, said. “The original classic film helped to define a genre that revolutionized black storytelling, not only for its powerful imagery and style, but also for Isaac Hayes’ award-winning soundtrack. Its impact is still significant in our culture today, and we are extremely excited to see Tim Story’s rendition of this brand-new multigenerational feature.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day