- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Set to Isaac Hayes’ iconic soul and funk-infused theme, the trailer is a mix of action, comedy and family drama that focuses on the black crime fighter’s latest case: his son.
When John Shaft Jr., played by Jessie T. Usher (Independence Day: Resurgence), arrives at the door of John Shaft Investigations, he is greeted by a pretty woman and a gun.
These two things become a recurring theme for Usher’s cyber security expert, JJ, after reaching out to his father, Samuel L. Jackson’s John Shaft, for help with an investigation into the untimely death of one of JJ’s friends.
As he moves his way through a series of gun-loading, punch-throwing and smooth-talking montages of crime-fighting action, Jackson’s Shaft sees his babysitting mission quickly evolve into a family affair when JJ’s mom (Regina Hall) and great uncle, Richard Roundtree’s original John Shaft, get thrown in the mix.
Bones break and bullets fly as all three Shafts make their way across Harlem and the rest of New York City on a job JJ is mostly unprepared for.
The Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema film is directed by Tim Story and co-written by Kenya Barris and Alex Barnow. Shaft hits theaters on June 14.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day