- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Shari Headley will reteam with Eddie Murphy in Paramount’s Coming to America sequel.
The actress will reprise her role as Lisa McDowell, the love interest and eventual wife to Murphy’s Prince Akeem.
Craig Brewer, who most recently worked with Murphy on the upcoming Netflix movie Dolemite Is My Name, is helming the follow-up to the 1988 comedy, which is set to start shooting later this month.
The original film followed Prince Akeem, from the fictional African nation of Zamunda, who arrives in Queens, New York, and in undercover fashion gets a job at a McDonald’s knockoff while trying to find a wife.
The new story sees Akeem, now set to become king, discovering he has a son he never knew about, a street-savvy Queens native named Lavelle. Honoring his father’s dying wish to groom his son as a newly crowned prince, Akeem must once again return to America.
Headley joins fellow returning stars Arsenio Hall and James Earl Jones, as well as franchise newcomers Leslie Jones, Kiki Layne and Wesley Snipes.
Coming 2 America is set for a Dec. 18, 2020, release.
Headley, who is repped by People Store and attorney Mark Temple, will next be seen in Showtime’s Kristen Dunst-led comedy series On Becoming a God in Central Florida.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day