- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Helen Mirren is joining the DC Extended Universe for Shazam! Fury of the Gods. Mirren will play the villain Hespera, the daughter of Atlas, in the sequel to 2019’s Shazam! from New Line and Warner Bros.
Mirren joins fellow franchise newcomer Rachel Zegler, the star of Steven Spielberg’s upcoming West Side Story. Sources say Mirren and Zegler will play sisters who both may or may not be of ill intent. The Shazam! sequel once again stars Zachary Levi as the adult version of teenager Billy Batson (Asher Angel) who transforms into a superhero.
David F. Sandberg returns to direct from a script by Henry Gayden, with Peter Safran producing through The Safran Company. The first Shazam! opened in April 2019 and earned $366 million globally. In addition to Fury of the Gods, New Line is developing Black Adam, starring Dwayne Johnson as the classic Shazam! antagonist.
Mirren has been nominated for four Oscars, winning one for 2006’s The Queen. She has also delved into franchise filmmaking before with the comic book series RED 2 as well as The Fast and Furious franchise, in which she plays the mother to Jason Statham’s Deckard Shaw. Coming up, she will reprise that role for Universal’s F9, and also stars in the upcoming Amazon anthology series Solos.
Miren is repped by CAA.