- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Shout! Factory is partnering with Funimation Films on the U.S. theatrical release of animated feature In This Corner of the World. The film will bow Aug. 11.
Based on the award-winning manga by Fumiyo Kouno and written and directed by Sunao Katabuchi (Mai Mai Miracle, Princess Arete), the hand-drawn film follows a young lady named Suzu Urano, whose life is thrown into chaos when her small town of Kure in Hiroshima is bombed during World War II.
It was produced by Masao Maruyama of Mappa Co. and Taro Maki of Genco.
Earlier this year, Shout! Factory announced that it had secured distribution rights to the film for cross-platform releases in U.S. and Canada. Funimation recently released anime hit Your Name.
“Funimation Films has a great track record in launching prominent international animated movies across cinemas in North America. We couldn’t find a more committed and perfect company to join us on the theatrical launch of In This Corner of the World,” Shout senior vp kids and family entertainment Melissa Boag said Thursday in a statement.
Added Mike DuBoise, executive vp and COO of Funimation: “It is a stunning work of traditional animation which has helped shine a bright light of Japanese animation in 2017.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day