- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Leatherface has found his latest target – Grammy-nominated R&B artist Trey Songz.
Songz has signed to play one of the leads in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D, the latest reimagining of Tobe Hooper’s 1974 horror classic about a group of teens who run into a family of cannibals in Texas.
Songz will play the male lead and the boyfriend of the previously-cast Alexandra Daddario in the Millennium/Nu Image pic, which will be released on October 5, 2012 by Lionsgate.
Chainsaw will be Songz’s big screen acting debut — the part allows the budding thespian to be physical, romantic and heroic.
John Luessenhop (Takers) is directing the pic, which was written by Adam Marcus and Debra Sullivan. Kirsten Elms and Luessenhop did polish work on it.
The horror movie shoots later this month in Shreveport, Louisiana. Producers are hoping to not only reboot the franchise but to also to break a group of fresh-faced actors.
Songz has had as series of top ten singles such as “Girl Tonight” and “Can’t Help But Wait.” His most recent album, Passion, Pain and Pleasure, was released last year and yielded the hit “Bottoms Up.” A new album is due to hit stores this fall.
Songz, who’s also done ads for Roc A Wear Clothing and Kodak, is repped by ICM, KWL Enterprises and attorney Paul Rothenberg.
[Update: A previous version of this article referred to Songz as a “rapper and R&B artist”]
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day