- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Hans Christian Andersens’ The Little Mermaid is the latest fairy tale to follow into the studios thirst for reimaginings.
Sony has picked up Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale, a book by Carolyn Turgeon, for Country Strong filmmaker Shana Feste to write and direct. Tobey Maguire and Jenno Topping, who worked with Feste on Country Strong,
The story gets its point of view shifted and the tone is definitely not Disney. It centers on a princess who, in order to save her ravaged kingdom, sets out on a dangerous journey to marry the prince of her rival kingdom, not knowing that a beautiful mermaid has fallen for the same man and has sacrificed everything to be with him.
Maguire is producing via his Material Pictures and the company’s Nick Reimond will oversee. Andrea Gianetti oversees for the studio.
Feste, repped by CAA, Madhouse Entertainment, and attorney Sean Marks, also wrote and directed The Greatest, the drama which starred Pierce Brosnan, Susan Sarandon and Carey Mulligan.
Turgeon is repped by ICM.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day