- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Revealed during Sunday afternoon’s Women of Marvel panel, Black Widow will be written by Jen and Sylvia Soska, better known as the writer/director team of horror movies including American Mary, Dead Hooker in a Trunk and the upcoming remake of David Cronenberg’s Rabid.
The new series marks the first time the character has anchored a solo effort since the 2017 conclusion of Chris Samnee and Mark Waid’s 12-issue series; in the interim, the Black Widow was killed in the Secret Empire comic book event, and subsequently resurrected in the Tales of Suspense: Hawkeye & The Winter Soldier miniseries.
The Soska Sisters have previously written for Marvel; the company released their first comic book work in an issue of 2015’s Secret Wars Journal miniseries. (The two have also co-written a graphic novel called Kill-Crazy Nymphos Attack with Deadpool writer Daniel Way, which was crowdfunded in 2015.) Flaviano Armentaro, the artist on the series, has worked on a number of titles for the publisher, including I Am Groot, America and this summer’s Thanos Annual.
News of the new comic book series follows Cate Shortland signing on to direct a Black Widow movie for Marvel Studios earlier this summer.
Black Widow is set to launch in January.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day