- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Force must be strong with Rian Johnson.
Contrary to reports that he will be directing the next two Star Wars film, Johnson will direct only Episode VIII, but he is writing a treatment for Episode IX.
Ram Bergman will produce Episode VIII.
Johnson has directed three feature films. His directorial debut, Brick, won the Special Jury Prize for Originality of Vision at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival. He followed that up with 2008’s Brothers Bloom and 2012’s time-jumping sci-fi action-drama Looper, starring Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
Johnson, repped by CAA and Lichter Grossman, also directed three episodes of AMC’s hit series Breaking Bad.
PHOTOS: ‘Star Wars’ Actors: Then and Now
J.J. Abrams is directing the first new film, Star Wars: Episode VII, which currently is shooting. It stars John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Lupita Nyong’o and Max von Sydow, who will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker.
Chronicle helmer Josh Trank and Godzilla director Gareth Edwards each have been tapped to direct a Star Wars standalone film.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day