- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“Pleased to announce #StarWarsVIII will be filmed here in UK @PinewoodStudios – great news for @starwars fans & our UK creative industries,” tweeted George Osborne, the U.K. chancellor of the exchequer, the British equivalent of the secretary of the treasury. Osborne also touted the $152 million (?100 million) inward investment and 3,000 jobs the production will bring.
The news comes on Star Wars Day (May the Fourth), but also coincidentally a bank holiday Monday in the U.K. Lucasfilm and Disney representatives couldn’t immediately be reached for comment. Pinewood declined to comment.
— George Osborne (@George_Osborne) May 4, 2015
Yet to be titled, Star Wars: Episode VIII will be directed by Rian Johnson. Filming is due to start in 2016 with a release date scheduled for 2017.
As well as its links with Star Wars, Pinewood has been home to the James Bond franchise and also recently played host to the Avengers: Age of Ultron production.
In Britain, the timing of the announcement is partly seen as a political move by Osborne, an attempt to associate his party, the Conservatives of David Cameron, with a high-profile injection of foreign investment as the U.K. election takes place on May 7.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day