- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Actually, it’s doctor, thank you very much.
Star Wars fans were shocked, but delighted, to learn over the weekend that Princess Leia not only had a Ph.D., but that she earned it at 19.
The revelation was pointed out by Twitter user Becca Harrison, a University of Glasgow professor, who also holds a doctorate degree and discovered the news in the book Superwomen: Gender, Power, and Representation by Carolyn Cocca.
According to Cocca, George Lucas said in the 2004 commentary for A New Hope that Leia obtained her doctorate — among other accolades — while Luke was a “naive farm boy.”
“She’s like a very sophisticated, urbanized ruler, a senator, so she’s a politician,” said Lucas, according to Cocca’s book. “She’s accomplished, graduated, got her Ph.D. at 19 and she rules people.”
The discovery was so popular, even Twitter pointed it out in a Moments collection.
Fans already knew the character was tough and could hold her own in a galaxy full of scum and villainy, but the Ph.D. at 19 kicked everything up yet another notch.
Hang on wait what… Leia had a PhD in Star Wars? Christ can you imagine having everyone call you Princess when you were actually Dr Organa pic.twitter.com/HYertPJqWU
— Becca Harrison (@BeccaEHarrison) August 4, 2017
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day