- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The movie musical adaptation of Wicked is looking to take flight, but director Stephen Daldry won’t be along for the ride.
A source tells THR that Daldry, who has long been attached to the movie, had to exit the project after the production timeline was adjusted and he was unable to commit to the new schedule. The exit was amicable and a search is underway for a new director.
Based on the Stephen Schwarz musical, the film is an alternative telling of the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz and L. Frank Baum’s classic 1900 story of the same name, told from the perspective of the witches. Screenwriter Winnie Holsman and composer Schwarz are adapting the musical for the screen. Marc Platt is producing.
Wicked was set for a Dec. 22, 2021, release but was moved off of the Universal calendar following the COVID-19 theatrical and production shutdown. The movie has yet to receive another release date.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day