- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Ready Player One is getting a jump start on the weekend by rolling out on March 28, a Thursday.
Warner Bros. and Spielberg, who are hoping for at least $50 million, still have three weeks left to make their final marketing push. (Warners is particularly encouraged by strong interest among males.)
The film will have a major presence at SXSW — a screening is rumored, although nothing is official — and will get heavy placement on March Madness basketball games.
The studio partnered with Village Roadshow and Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment on the 1980s-themed movie.
Ready Player One, a future-set adaptation of Ernest Cline’s cult novel, follows Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan), a teen on a treasure hunt to become master of OASIS following the death of its creator, James Halliday (Mark Rylance). But an evil corporation led by Nolan Sorrento (Ben Mendelsohn) is on the trail as well.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day