- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Sony Pictures Classics has acquired domestic and U.K. rights for Richard Linklater‘s romantic drama Before Midnight. Sources peg the deal as mid-seven figures with a significant backend, making it one of the biggest of the festival
The film marks the final chapter in Linklater’s Before series (preceded by 1995’s Before Sunrise and 2004’s Before Sunset). The drama picks up with Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Celine (Julie Delpy) two decades after their first meeting on a train bound for Venice. This time, the story of the star-crossed lovers takes place just before the clock strikes midnight.
The now-shuttered Warner Independent Pictures released Before Sunset, which earned some $6 million at the U.S. box office.
Before Midnight premiered at Eccles Theatre on Jan. 20 as part of Sundance’s Premieres category.
THR‘s John DeFore praised the film, saying “audiences who have aged along with Celine and Jesse will treasure this new episode.”
Cinetic’s John Sloss repped the filmmakers.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day