- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
PARK CITY — Gbenga Akinnagbe, who memorably played a killer on multiple seasons of HBO’s The Wire, is starring in and producing Render to Caesar, which is in production in Nigeria.
The film is being backed by former banker Desmond Ovbiagele and is part of Nigeria’s massive film industry. The difference, however, is that the film is being made in the English language and is hoping to land international distribution.
Caesar revolves around two detectives stalking a psychotic crime lord in Lagos and is directed by Onyekachi “Lucky” Ejim. Ovbiagele, Akinnagbe and Omoni Oboli are producing.
Akinnagbe is taking a break from shooting and is in Sundance this week for his producing debut Newlyweeds, a stoner romantic comedy. He also stars in the Slamdance film Big Words, the debut film by former Entertainment Weekly editor Neil Drumming. A third feature, Home, in which Akinnagbe stars, is holding private screenings in Park City during the festival.
The upcoming year looks to be a busy one for Akinnagbe. The actor will be seen in a recurring role in The Good Wife and appear as a Nigerian crime lord in the USA Network’s new series Graceland. His other TV credits Damages and Nurse Jackie.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day