- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Decades before Donald Trump announced his bid for the White House, Mike Wallace grilled him on his possible political aspirations.
Mike Wallace Is Here will make its world premiere on Sunday at the Sundance Film Festival in the U.S. Documentary Competition. In it, Israeli director Avi Belkin condenses 60 years’ worth of Wallace’s broadcast journalism career into one feature-length documentary.
CBS opened up its archives to Belkin, offering access to the raw footage of Wallace’s interviews, one of those being a 1985 sit-down with the current president of the U.S.
“You said that you could negotiate a better arms deal with the Soviets than some of these professionals who have been trying to do it for years,” Wallace says to Trump in the clip.
“I didn’t say me, Mike. I said somebody has to do it. If it were me, that would be fine. I could do it,” Trump responds. “Somebody has to help this country and if they don’t, the country and the world are in big trouble.”
Watch the full clip, above.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Green Knight