- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Taika Waititi and Brockmire star Utkarsh Ambudkar are joining Ryan Reynolds and director Shawn Levy for Free Guy, a sci-fi action-comedy set up at 20th Century Fox and 21 Laps Entertainment.
Levy is directing from a script by Matt Lieberman and Zak Penn. The ensemble cast also includes Jodie Comer, Joe Kerry and Lil Rel.
Free Guy centers on a background character who realizes he’s living in a video game. With the help of an avatar, he tries to prevent the makers of the game from shutting down his world.
The studio picked up the project as a spec script in 2016. Reynolds is producing through Maximum Effort and Levy through his 21 Laps Entertainment, with Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter producing through Berlanti Productions.
Adam Kolbrenner is also producing. George Dewy of Maximum Effort and Dan Levine of 21 Laps serve as executive producers, while Mike Ireland is overseeing for 20th Century Fox.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
More from The Hollywood Reporter
Arnold Schwarzenegger on Bruce Willis’ Retirement: Action Stars “Never Really Retire…They Reload”
The Little Mermaid
China Box Office: ‘Fast X’ Roars Past $100M, ‘The Little Mermaid’ Struggles to Stay Afloat
The Little Mermaid
‘The Wiz’ Star Stephanie Mills Relates Her Own Experience to Racist Backlash Toward ‘Little Mermaid”s Halle Bailey
Robert Downey Jr.
Jon Favreau Says Robert Downey Jr. Was in Talks for Another Marvel Character Before Becoming Iron Man