- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Sometimes you might wonder, hey, why did Don Cheadle take over the role of James Rhodes in Marvel’s Iron Man movies? Someone asked original Rhodey Terrence Howard that very question during his appearance on Bravo’s Watch What Happens Live last night, and he responded with an answer that he said was “going to get me into a lot of trouble.”
“It turns out that the person that I helped become Iron Man, when it was time to […] re-up for the second one took the money that was supposed to go to me and pushed me out,” Howard said. “We did a three-picture deal. So that means, you did the deal ahead of time. It was going to be a certain amount for the first one, a certain amount for the second, certain amount for the third.
He continued, “They came to me [for] the second and said, ‘We will pay you one-eighth of what we contractually had for you, because we think the second one will be successful with or without you.’ And I called my friend that I helped get the first job, and he didn’t call me back for three months.”
Amid groans from the audience, Howard was asked how his relationship was with Robert Downey Jr. now. “Oh, I love him,” Howard replied deadpan. “God’s gonna bless him.” That’s what happens when you hang out with Thor, after all.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day